Wednesday, September 29, 2010

magnificent maleficent.


As the mother of two young daughters, I have a lot of Disney princess going on in my house.  For a long time I tried to fight the princess invasion, but soon found that was a futile cause.  It's not that I have a problem with Disneyland per se or the Princesses themselves, and I'm not an ultra modern feminist.  (I am, after all, a stay-at-home-mom in a pretty traditional marriage.)  However, it's really difficult for me to get behind the messages the old school Disney movies send. (I did, after all, grow up knowing I could be and do anything I wanted, graduate Magna Cum Laude from college, have a life before I was married, and rock my own career for quite awhile before retiring to the best non-paid job there is.)   So when I spotted this line of MAC makeup inspired by the Disney villains, I was (secretly) a little excited.  I don't endorse evil or anything, but I actually think my girlies could learn a little from these strong characters. And maybe if Disney mixed the strength, ambition, and hutzpah that these villains possess with the sweetness/goodness of the pretty princesses, I'd be a little more inclined to spend the 89.95 on the gown they're hoping to rip me off with sell me at the Disney Store.  Just sayin'.

Image here.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like Disney princesses myself but my daughter loves them, I also think there's a teaching opportunity in everything and I constantly find myself analyzing how my little one reacts to these movies and shows... Love MAC and love that new line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) AMEN
    2) Did I write this???
    3) Just saw the new line today... love the nail polishes, especially.
    4) Are we the same person?? ...Magna Cum Laude & all:).

    ReplyDelete