Thursday, September 30, 2010

a dress + a forgotten camera

Since getting my fashion mojo back, I've made a conscious decision not to buy just for the sake of buying.  I would go into a shop with some sort of plan, not simply with the hope of acquiring something new (and the subsequent but short lived high that accompanies that.)  I now ask myself the following questions: Where am I going to wear the purchase?  Will it serve multiple purposes?  Do I have shoes or accessories that complement it?  Do I already own one (or 10 as I do white tank tops?) Will I be able to use this purchase to "work my closet?"  Does the new piece work for me, my body type, my lifestyle, my age (or am I trying to pretend I'm someone else which for me is never a success?)  With all this in mind, I started taking quick iPhone pictures of myself in potential wins, with the thought that I would leave the store and come back if I really wanted the item.  Here I am in the dressing room snapping a picture


I had a few possible occasions in my mind.  A wedding, a reunion, dinner out.  I could change out the wrap for multiple belts, wear a cardi with it, a blazer, a denim jacket to dress it down, wedges, flat sandals...  Actually the potential was pretty limitless, and because I live in Southern California, this will even work into the winter. So I deemed it a win and bought it!  (I did leave the store, show a friend the picture, and then return a day later...)

This past weekend, I wore the dress (with a skinny gold belt, goldish 4 inch heeled sandals, and gold jewelry) to the wedding of an old boarding school friend of my husband's.  Over the last 15 years, Sparky and I have been to many weddings together. (In 1999 alone, we went to twelve!)  It's hard for me to believe, but this is the first one we've attended that was held at someone's own house and it was awesome--super relaxed and fun.  The mother of the bride's beautiful home has an amazingly LARGE (for California) yard.  There were lights and lanterns hung everywhere.  Couches and comfy chairs were strewn across the back lawn which sits a top a hill that overlooks the entire city.  And I'm understating it when I say the the DJ rocked.  Unfortunately,  these are the only pictures I have because I forgot my camera, but it was truly a magical night for the bride and groom and everyone in attendance.  Thank you Megan and Geoff for including us in your day.  We wish you lots of love and laughter.  




P.S. I'll also tell you that fire dancers and a chipped tooth (mine!) added to the excitement of the wedding.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your dress (and its versatility) and love your plan.

    (I just spent the day shopping and- my own fashion mojo is coming back... can finally feel it! Getting new bras- that fit [and aren't discolored and/or ripped]- really helps:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That purple dress is FAN-tastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress and sandals and the whole outfit!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie-you look fabulous!!! Love love love the purple dress on you especially with those sandals. And yes you can do so much with this dress. The options are endless. I think it would look adorable with some tall boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS about the boots! I got them from famous footwear ... sooo affordable! here's the link!

    http://www.famousfootwear.com/shopping/productdetails.aspx?p=68580&pg=1021363&partnerID=Email_TransShipConf

    They're on saleeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start asking myself those questions when I'm shopping!! Great self control ;)

    Love the dress you bought... Gorgeous color.

    xo

    ReplyDelete